The 23-years-old Mallory Hagan from Brooklyn, New York won the title of Miss America at at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas on Saturday night (January 12, 2013). It was 92nd edition of Miss America pageant. Miss America 2012 winner Laura Kaeppeler from Wisconsin crowned Miss New York 2013 Mallory Hagan. Program was broadcasted live on ABC network across U.S. It was also simulcasted on ESPN Radio for the first time. Mallory Hagan got $50,000 college scholarship as award. She has attended the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her platform issue is child sexual abuse prevention and she plans to obtain a degree in cosmetics and fragrance marketing.
She stood first in the swimsuit competition and performed a mean tap dance to James Brown’s Get Up Offa That Thing. The host of the event were Chris Harrison (The Bachelor) and Brooke Burke-Charvet (Dancing With the Stars). They introduced 53 contestants (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
Finalists in Top 5
- 1st runner-up: Ali Rogers (South Carolina)
- 2nd runner-up: Alicia Clifton (Oklahoma)
- 3rd runner-up: Lexie Madden (Wyoming)
- 4th runner-up: Mariah Cary (Iowa)
Next 5 in Top 10
- Megan Ervin (Illinois)
- Joanna Guy (Maryland)
- Chandler Lawson (Tennessee)
- DaNae Couch (Texas)
- Mandy Schendel (Washington)
There was few special cases in this year’s pageant. Miss Montana was the pageant’s first autistic contestant. Miss Iowa has Tourette’s syndrome. Miss Maine lost more than 50 pounds before winning her state crown.
Final question answer round
The following are the details of question answer round. It is arranged in the order in which it was asked during the event.
1) Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton drew judge Cheryl Burke, who asked, “What are you thoughts on how sensational reality shows like Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras portray their mothers, young girls and the world of pageants?”
Her answer: “Even though we do think they live an outrageous lifestyle, at the end of the day you have to admit that mother loves her daughter …You have to remember these are reality shows and we just have to take them with a grain of salt.”
2)Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers ‘s judge Katie Stam Irk brought up Brent Musberger’s comments about quarterback A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend, asking if they “objectify women.”
Her response: “As a football fan and as someone who would like to be featured.. at a football game, I think he has every right to point out her beauty. She is, in fact, gorgeous. I think this is something we can display not only on the Miss America stage, but hey, at a football game, too.”
3) Miss New York Mallory Hagan‘s judge Sam Champion asked about gun control and a proposal to have an armed guard in every school. “Do you think that would make our schools safer?”
Her answer: “I actually don’t.” “I don’t think the proper way to fight violence is with violence.” She urged education about guns.
4) Miss Iowa Mariah Cary‘s judge Bradley Bayou asked about marijuana legalization and whether it’s the right direction for our country.
Her answer: “I think that depends on the situation. I personally know people who have had to go to medical marijuana for their last resort for their health care and I support that. However, I do not think it should be used for anything but recreational use and health care.” Oops!
5) Miss Wyoming Lexie Madden was asked by McKayla Maroney if parents are being too quick to medicate for attention deficit disorder.
Her answer: “It comes down to a parent’s choice. but ultimately if they want to medicate their child they also need to look for alternative options to truly fix the problem and not just cover it up with medication.”
Miss America 2013 Photo Gallery
Click on pictures to enlarge
Sandy Sah is a highly qualified blogger. He owns many blogs on variety of topics. He has expertise in the health, education and entertainment field. This site is owned by him. He did his doctorate in health sciences. He also accepts request for guest blogging.